Pages

Sunday, February 10, 2013

2013 LA Art Show

For the 3rd year in a row we had the opportunity to make it to the LA Art Show, and once again it didn't disappoint.  In fact, I think it may have been the best year yet!
We were honored to be in attendance opening night for the Premier Party and saw some amazing work (and some famous people)...here were some of my favorites!
Ed Ruscha, 51% Angel 49% Devil (1983)
The featured exhibition Letters from Los Angeles:Text in Southern California Art was fantastic. Iconic art from iconic artists, and an opportunity to explore the relationship of contemporary art and the written word which is so prominent in Los Angeles.
Sister Korita Kent, Yellow Submarine (1964)
Sister Corita Kent, American Sampler (1969)
The John Baldessari ABC Art letters from the 2011 show were back as part of this exhibit too...I just love his alphabet!
John Baldessari, A B C Art (2009)
My love of Latin American Art continues & I was introduced to a new artist that I fell in love with. The gallery Cernude Arte out of Coral Gables, FL had a large body of work by Cuban artist Gina Pellon.
Her vibrant compositions were so free and alive, and I look forward to exploring her work further.
Gina Pellon, Planta Secreta "Secret Plant" (2010) ~ $19,000USD 
Gina Pellon, Blanco Silencio "White Silence" (2010) ~ $14,000USD
Gina Pellon, Secreto Maximo "Top Secret" (2010) ~ $13,000USD
Another Latin American artist that I adore is Guatemalan artist Carlos Merida, and this beautiful example of his abstract work was just stunning!
Carlos Merida, Dos Personajes (1958) ~ $29,500USD
One of the coolest instillation pieces that we came across was this hanging sculpture by Korean artist Park Sung-Tae made with wire mesh. It had such a cool shadow play on the wall, and and was truly a stand out!
It wouldn't be an LA show without some street art!  There was a pretty big representation of street artists at this years event and this piece from Shepard Fairey was up for auction. I've long admired Fairey, but work definitely tops my list of favorites from him.
Shepard Fairey, Station to Station 3 (2012) ~ Starting Bid $4,000USD
The highlight of the evening for me this year however was completely unexpected!  Here's the back story: I was in Morocco in Fall of 2012 and fell in LOVE with some paintings at our hotel.  I kept asking around who the artist was because I was told that the hotel displayed a collection of contemporary Moroccan artists.  I left Morocco with one regret, and that was not seeking out the work in more detail.  Imagine my surprise when I was walking around the LA show and saw a live artist painting on a canvas. I knew immediately that it was the same work and showed him pics on my iPhone of his paintings in Morocco! BINGO!!!
I think he was as surprised as I was.  Little did I know at the time but JonOne is a pretty famous Parisian Street Artist (with gallery representation in Morocco too)...and I KNOW I will someday own a piece of his work. He was doing a live painting in the Fabien Canister Gallery booth, and I really enjoyed getting to chat with him for a bit!  
With JonOne at 2013 LA Art Show
See that amazing painting behind us? Here it is in more detail
JonOne, Into the Black ~ $17,000USD
And here are the pictures I showed him from Morocco:
Pretty crazy right!!! Certainly the highlight of my night!!!

So those were a few of my favorites but I certainly didn't even scratch the surface of all the amazing work at the show! I can't wait for the 2014 event!!!

Cheers ~ Lara


1 comment:

  1. I used to go to the show, and your post makes me want to go again. Great pictures! and fantastic story about meeting the artist behind the paintings.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels

NowSoLA Vintage (112) Vintage Decor (55) Thrift Share (38) Photography (30) Preview Listings (25) Vintage Fashion (25) California Living (24) Inspirational Outings (23) Thrift Art Gallery (19) Vintage Fabrics (17) New Listings (16) Vintage Accessories (16) instagram (15) thrift store (15) Blooms (12) Stella (12) Vintage Books (12) Mid Century Modern (10) Worldly Travels (10) Behind the Scenes (9) Flowers (9) Modern Art (9) My Art (9) Vintage Toys (9) Lucy (8) House Tour (7) Africa (6) Art Pottery (5) France (5) SALE (5) thrift art (5) Artist Profile (4) Christian Dior (4) Folk Art (4) Kenya (4) LA Art Show (4) latin american art (4) Delano Hotel (3) Paris artist (3) Singapore (3) Vera Neumann (3) christmas (3) hyper-realist painting (3) Armani (2) Asia (2) Bali (2) Birds (2) Damien Hirst (2) David Bromley (2) Irwin Signature (2) Janet Rothwoman (2) Marrakech (2) Mikasa (2) Mombasa (2) Monaco (2) Morocco (2) digital collage (2) nativity (2) resolutions (2) 76 Drill (1) Artist JR (1) Bernard Buffet (1) Brewery Art Walk (1) Carmageddon (1) Cartier (1) Charley Harper (1) Creative Courage (1) David Auld Haiti (1) David Band (1) David Lefner (1) Dodge Bookends (1) Eames (1) Finn Juhl (1) Flintridge China (1) Frye Boots (1) G. Lelong (1) Gaultier (1) Georges Briard (1) Globe (1) Gorham China (1) Gucci (1) Guillermo Bert (1) Halloween (1) Henry Moore (1) Irving Shapiro (1) JonOne (1) Jonathan Adler (1) Julien Pacaud (1) Kandinsky (1) Kokeshi (1) Korean Friendship Bell (1) Krenit Bowl (1) M. Saleh (1) MFR (1) Museum Ludwig (1) Nauga Monster (1) Paul Klee (1) Paul McCobb (1) Picasso (1) Pret a Porter (1) Quaker Lace (1) Rome (1) Salinas (1) Sandoval (1) Sea Things (1) Sock Monkey (1) StumbleUpon (1) Stylish Blogger (1) Sunal Alvar (1) The Huntington (1) Unaka Pottery (1) Versace (1) bird print (1) boulanger (1) clock (1) dior bag (1) doll (1) graciela rodo boulanger (1) ornament (1) oswaldo guayasamin (1)

Followers