Pages

Monday, May 23, 2011

Thrift Share - Prison Break

Do you ever come across those people who seem to have a never ending Yard Sale?
You see the same neon signs every week, but hesitate to stop back in because you've already been?

There's a lady in Los Alamitos that fits this exact description.  I've actually acquired several great items from her (like these yellow lamps which I'd be grateful if you gave your opinion on)...and on my 3rd and last visit she gave me a big roll of posters because I'd bought so many other things and she remembered me. 
When I initially inquired about them, I'd only seen the first two posters not rolled into the pile, which were some local art gallery posters from 1984.  The rest of the loot was all rolled up and taped together and I wasn't actually able to see what the content was...all I knew what that she'd gotten them from an architect  years ago.
This past weekend, I finally got out an exacto knife & started cutting and peeling away the tape...and you can imagine my surprise when I uncovered a trove of architectural plans for Prisons!
Utah Regional Secure Facility
Look how happy these prisoners are...hanging out on couches with good art and their families. lol
Maricopa is actually pretty cool graphically & on a shiny silver paper (doesn't look too hot in the pic)
Omaha Correctional Facility
Once again, these prisoners are living the high life...playing cards & sleeping in nice beds. 
These are just a few examples, but all and all, there are over 20 posters that were produced in the 1970s and 1980s by the Architectural Firm HDR (Henningson Durham & Richardson) out of Phoenix, AZ.  I don't know what in the heck I'll do with all these prison posters...but if you know anyone locked up that may need an escape route let me know, I may be able to send you the layout. LOL.

Once again, I'm linking up to Apron Thrift Girl's Thrift Share Monday along with Her Library Adventures Flea Market Finds so be sure to check out all the other found treasures there!

Cheers ~ Lara



5 comments:

  1. Haha... I know the type! There are some perpetual yard salers in my neck of the woods as well but I've never found anything worthwhile. As far as the architectural drawings, I'm sure some people might dig the stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a surprising find! They're so quirky and unusual I bet someone would snap them up if you sold them on etsy or ebay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is hilarious!! Wow, prison plans!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is crazy!!! If I ever get locked up, I know who to call!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those! The last one is my favorite. Great finds!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels

NowSoLA Vintage (112) Vintage Decor (55) Thrift Share (38) Photography (30) Preview Listings (25) Vintage Fashion (25) California Living (24) Inspirational Outings (22) Thrift Art Gallery (19) Vintage Fabrics (17) New Listings (16) Vintage Accessories (16) instagram (15) thrift store (15) Blooms (12) Stella (12) Vintage Books (12) Mid Century Modern (10) Worldly Travels (10) Behind the Scenes (9) Flowers (9) Modern Art (9) My Art (9) Vintage Toys (9) Lucy (8) House Tour (7) Africa (6) Art Pottery (5) France (5) SALE (5) thrift art (5) Christian Dior (4) Folk Art (4) Kenya (4) latin american art (4) Artist Profile (3) Delano Hotel (3) LA Art Show (3) Paris artist (3) Singapore (3) Vera Neumann (3) christmas (3) hyper-realist painting (3) Armani (2) Asia (2) Bali (2) Birds (2) Damien Hirst (2) David Bromley (2) Irwin Signature (2) Janet Rothwoman (2) Marrakech (2) Mikasa (2) Mombasa (2) Monaco (2) Morocco (2) digital collage (2) nativity (2) resolutions (2) 76 Drill (1) Artist JR (1) Bernard Buffet (1) Brewery Art Walk (1) Carmageddon (1) Cartier (1) Charley Harper (1) Creative Courage (1) David Auld Haiti (1) David Band (1) David Lefner (1) Dodge Bookends (1) Eames (1) Finn Juhl (1) Flintridge China (1) Frye Boots (1) G. Lelong (1) Gaultier (1) Georges Briard (1) Globe (1) Gorham China (1) Gucci (1) Guillermo Bert (1) Halloween (1) Henry Moore (1) Irving Shapiro (1) Jonathan Adler (1) Julien Pacaud (1) Kandinsky (1) Kokeshi (1) Korean Friendship Bell (1) Krenit Bowl (1) M. Saleh (1) MFR (1) Museum Ludwig (1) Nauga Monster (1) Paul Klee (1) Paul McCobb (1) Picasso (1) Pret a Porter (1) Quaker Lace (1) Rome (1) Salinas (1) Sandoval (1) Sea Things (1) Sock Monkey (1) StumbleUpon (1) Stylish Blogger (1) Sunal Alvar (1) The Huntington (1) Unaka Pottery (1) Versace (1) bird print (1) boulanger (1) clock (1) dior bag (1) doll (1) graciela rodo boulanger (1) ornament (1) oswaldo guayasamin (1)

Followers