Pages

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Thrift Art Gallery - Oswaldo Guayasamin

Signed Serigraph by Oswaldo Guayasamin,
Ecuadorian master painter and sculptor.
One of my favorite places to visit in Long Beach is the Museum of Latin America Art (MOLAA).  I never have been disappointed during a visit, but by far my favorite instillation (maybe of all galleries I've ever visited) was the Guayasamin show in 2009.  His artwork is amazing & one day I plan on owning an original painting.  For now however, I am fortunate to have come across this original serigraph...and I got it for a steal.  

I just happened to be browsing on Shopgoodwill.com late one evening (where I can thrift from my house...yipee) and this beauty popped up.  I could hardly believe my luck and you better believe I was checking my bid status every few seconds towards the end of the auction to make sure I didn't lose this gem.  Low and behold I was the high bidder, and now I get to stare at this beautiful work of art every day.

After getting the print home, I actually contacted the wonderful folks at  Fundación Guayasamín, and received an email back from Gabriela Vera Guayasamín almost immediately.  She informed me that the print was titled "Mercy" and is from the work during his Tenderness series that was made around 1984.  Someone had Mercy on me, and I feel so lucky to have this piece in my collection!!!

Here are a few other amazing pieces of work from this wonderful artist:



I would be remiss without showing you my own ode to Guayasamin, an oil painting on canvas board.


Cheers ~ Lara

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels

NowSoLA Vintage (112) Vintage Decor (55) Thrift Share (38) Photography (30) Preview Listings (25) Vintage Fashion (25) California Living (24) Inspirational Outings (22) Thrift Art Gallery (19) Vintage Fabrics (17) New Listings (16) Vintage Accessories (16) instagram (15) thrift store (15) Blooms (12) Stella (12) Vintage Books (12) Mid Century Modern (10) Worldly Travels (10) Behind the Scenes (9) Flowers (9) Modern Art (9) My Art (9) Vintage Toys (9) Lucy (8) House Tour (7) Africa (6) Art Pottery (5) France (5) SALE (5) thrift art (5) Christian Dior (4) Folk Art (4) Kenya (4) latin american art (4) Artist Profile (3) Delano Hotel (3) LA Art Show (3) Paris artist (3) Singapore (3) Vera Neumann (3) christmas (3) hyper-realist painting (3) Armani (2) Asia (2) Bali (2) Birds (2) Damien Hirst (2) David Bromley (2) Irwin Signature (2) Janet Rothwoman (2) Marrakech (2) Mikasa (2) Mombasa (2) Monaco (2) Morocco (2) digital collage (2) nativity (2) resolutions (2) 76 Drill (1) Artist JR (1) Bernard Buffet (1) Brewery Art Walk (1) Carmageddon (1) Cartier (1) Charley Harper (1) Creative Courage (1) David Auld Haiti (1) David Band (1) David Lefner (1) Dodge Bookends (1) Eames (1) Finn Juhl (1) Flintridge China (1) Frye Boots (1) G. Lelong (1) Gaultier (1) Georges Briard (1) Globe (1) Gorham China (1) Gucci (1) Guillermo Bert (1) Halloween (1) Henry Moore (1) Irving Shapiro (1) Jonathan Adler (1) Julien Pacaud (1) Kandinsky (1) Kokeshi (1) Korean Friendship Bell (1) Krenit Bowl (1) M. Saleh (1) MFR (1) Museum Ludwig (1) Nauga Monster (1) Paul Klee (1) Paul McCobb (1) Picasso (1) Pret a Porter (1) Quaker Lace (1) Rome (1) Salinas (1) Sandoval (1) Sea Things (1) Sock Monkey (1) StumbleUpon (1) Stylish Blogger (1) Sunal Alvar (1) The Huntington (1) Unaka Pottery (1) Versace (1) bird print (1) boulanger (1) clock (1) dior bag (1) doll (1) graciela rodo boulanger (1) ornament (1) oswaldo guayasamin (1)

Followers