Pages

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Thrift Share - Jonathan Adler Lamp

Not my usual vintage find, but I'm dedicating this weeks Thrift Share to one item.  I've been on the lookout for some furniture for my honeys office...so when I saw the Habitat Restore last week in OC I did a quick stroll through. Though I love the ReStores, unless I'm on the hunt for furniture or starting a construction project I don't stop in too often.  But, it was my lunch break on a Friday afternoon & pouring down rain, so I decided to stroll around for a bit.  Standing amongst the some of the furniture I spotted an interesting tripod style floor lamp.  I noticed the tag hanging off of it said Jonathan Adler and the original paperwork attached to the cord matched the maker.  
 Unfortunately it was missing the shade & the finial (is that what you call it on a lamp?) and priced at $50 so I didn't really give it much thought.  Kinda thought maybe Adler was selling for Target or something.
I don't know why I didn't google it on the spot, but low and behold, I left it behind.  An hour or so later while sitting in my next account, a quick search revealed the "Ventana Floor Lamp" was priced at well over $400 on several websites.  Yikes!  I was already a 1/2 hour away, on a Friday afternoon in pouring rain (translating in SoCal traffic to 1+ hours drive).  I emailed my man the link & said what do you think?  In about 30 seconds he called and said "Go Get It!"  You see, he hated the lamp we had in our front room!
This is the "Hated" lamp! lol
I called the ReStore, the lamp was still there so I made the trek back to get it.  I did a little digging around once I got there, and found the matching round finial attached to a small table lamp in another area.  I showed the picture of the lamp to the store manager and he let me take the finial too.  Too bad I couldn't find the shade anywhere.  Thankfully I have a few spare drum shades around, though I can't decide which I like better?  What do you think???
Option 1-  a plain simple drum
Option 2 - A little geometric touch shade
I love the lamp, but will have to say that I would have never paid full price from Adler for it.  It's not well made, not real wood, and there is no mark anywhere stating Jonathan Adler so if I ever chose to resell it I don't know what value there would be (this is why I prefer the original vintage pieces, lol).  I guess I'll just need to store the paperwork somewhere safe.  So now it's sitting in our weird front living room, that I'm in the process of re-doing.  But I think the lamp works in the bay window for the time being.

Oddly enough, Tim came home last week and asked if I'd seen the new Cotton commercial featuring Emmy Rossum from Shameless (one of our favorite shows).  He made me watch it on youtube, and what do you know...at the opening & final scenes of the commercial, theres our lamp! Lol

I can't wait to see all of the treasures you've unearthed this week.  I'll be linking up to Selena & Sophie's thrift share parties so see ya there!

Cheers ~ Lara


6 comments:

  1. Glad it was still there for you. I'd choose shade #1. I like the cleaner lines since the lamp looks somewhat industrial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great find! I prefer the simpler drum shade too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And it is a third vote for the simple shade. I am glad you went back to get it. I have never been to a restore, must give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like the simple shade is winning for sure! lol. You should definitely check out the restore. The one in OC is much nicer than LA. That place definitely gets my creative juices going.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels

NowSoLA Vintage (112) Vintage Decor (55) Thrift Share (38) Photography (30) Preview Listings (25) Vintage Fashion (25) California Living (24) Inspirational Outings (22) Thrift Art Gallery (19) Vintage Fabrics (17) New Listings (16) Vintage Accessories (16) instagram (15) thrift store (15) Blooms (12) Stella (12) Vintage Books (12) Mid Century Modern (10) Worldly Travels (10) Behind the Scenes (9) Flowers (9) Modern Art (9) My Art (9) Vintage Toys (9) Lucy (8) House Tour (7) Africa (6) Art Pottery (5) France (5) SALE (5) thrift art (5) Christian Dior (4) Folk Art (4) Kenya (4) latin american art (4) Artist Profile (3) Delano Hotel (3) LA Art Show (3) Paris artist (3) Singapore (3) Vera Neumann (3) christmas (3) hyper-realist painting (3) Armani (2) Asia (2) Bali (2) Birds (2) Damien Hirst (2) David Bromley (2) Irwin Signature (2) Janet Rothwoman (2) Marrakech (2) Mikasa (2) Mombasa (2) Monaco (2) Morocco (2) digital collage (2) nativity (2) resolutions (2) 76 Drill (1) Artist JR (1) Bernard Buffet (1) Brewery Art Walk (1) Carmageddon (1) Cartier (1) Charley Harper (1) Creative Courage (1) David Auld Haiti (1) David Band (1) David Lefner (1) Dodge Bookends (1) Eames (1) Finn Juhl (1) Flintridge China (1) Frye Boots (1) G. Lelong (1) Gaultier (1) Georges Briard (1) Globe (1) Gorham China (1) Gucci (1) Guillermo Bert (1) Halloween (1) Henry Moore (1) Irving Shapiro (1) Jonathan Adler (1) Julien Pacaud (1) Kandinsky (1) Kokeshi (1) Korean Friendship Bell (1) Krenit Bowl (1) M. Saleh (1) MFR (1) Museum Ludwig (1) Nauga Monster (1) Paul Klee (1) Paul McCobb (1) Picasso (1) Pret a Porter (1) Quaker Lace (1) Rome (1) Salinas (1) Sandoval (1) Sea Things (1) Sock Monkey (1) StumbleUpon (1) Stylish Blogger (1) Sunal Alvar (1) The Huntington (1) Unaka Pottery (1) Versace (1) bird print (1) boulanger (1) clock (1) dior bag (1) doll (1) graciela rodo boulanger (1) ornament (1) oswaldo guayasamin (1)

Followers